Wednesday 28 October, 2009

What’s with the Brand thing?

Jeans – Rs. 499

Levis Denim wear – Rs. 2499

That’s a hell lot of difference in the price and very nominal difference in the product. So are consumers stupid to pay that premium price? Of course not they pay because they get a guarantee for its quality.

But we all know this.. don’t we? So why I am digging basics here?

Because when you say brand many consumers (at least in India) think of only Coke,Pepsi, Maggi, Levis, Nike, Reebok etc. But what about Local Brands who  are not really hip n happening  but still have a brand equity?

For example KPN travels is a well known transport service provider in south. I forgot brand KPN stands for their service  quality and did a terrible mistake of booking  in some other travels to save 5oo bucks,and what I got was the most pathetic travel experience.

If  I had been willing to the extra premium for the Brand KPN  I would have  had a return journey.I can say this for sure because  my onward journey was through KPN.From now I am not going to book in any other travels other than KPN. 

This experience made me observe many local brands I come across in my daily live, which I should be specific with, like for example I always prefer Adigas over Shanti Sagar (chain of restaurants) – Adigas is a lil costly but worth it & most of the Shanti Sagars suck big time.image

The point is Big or Small, Local or Global, Branding is essential ,  important & worth having. Many of my batch mates are now managing  their family business and I strongly suggest them to develop a distinct brand,logo, etc (anyways, what’s the point of an ‘MBA’ running the business if its not branded?)

BTW Any idea how do Big brands protect their brands logo etc from being misused?

Because I saw , SONY brand crackers, Disney & Harry Potter  Fireworks and a Tamil magazine with a tweaked Google Chrome on it

Image0052 Will/Can/Should Google sue these guys??

3 comments:

  1. Hey Great even i found it when i saw the Ad's. Shoudl be reported hahha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn I posted a comment and it is missing. So here it goes...

    3 things...

    Most of the sale comes from kids who go to coffee shops and pubs with heavy wallets. But many like to wait for the discount and feast on it. So it is very hard to say when the Levis brand is really worth it. Your point hits it right on top

    What happened with KPN travels and the other one? Where did you go? Post it separately.

    Which Tamil mag is this? Got to find them and give an award. Too good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sivaram : yeah i am thinking of sending a tweet to Google :P

    @Tiger: Ur comment was waiting for my moderation sorry for the delay :)

    Thanks for the compliment..i will try to post the KPN story as well

    the title translates as "New Generation" and i think its backed up by Tamil Channel but not sure

    ReplyDelete