Thursday 3 December, 2009

Hi ,Waves Google

After many attempts, I got my Google wave invite from Satish (thanks Doc :P). About 5 months before I had blogged about G Wave (??) and its features.Now a preview is out(invitation only) and it shows what would be the interface where the convergence of various communication & media sharing options will take place(that was the original idea).
The interface reminds me of a email client and the waves remind me of threads in online forums.If u are familiar with threads in online forums(my first forum exp was pagalguy.com) and how discussions take place, then G Wave is almost similar to that . But here you can keep the thread private,choose participants by your choice and has multiple media sharing options like videos and pictures etc,send invites and RSVP’s for events ,parties etc.
Google's video on When to Wave??
Some Q’s came to my mind while waving, why don't they add certain features to Gmail than introducing a whole new product?? Does it mean Gwave will exist along with Gmail? The answer is Gwave is based on a different protocol called XMPP,different from Gmail.Moreover XMPP is a open source protocol which will allow developers to build custom wave engines, add-ons,gadgets etc. To Know more on this read wiki of Google wave Federation Protocol
But still, Isn’t it going to make communication lil more complex? I mean now i have one more inbox to check in and some more messages to reply …but to the same contacts??

Now that leads to another doubt,does Google wants it users to add strangers to their wave accounts like twitter or Facebook and start topics of discussion or is it going to be a private conversation among a group of people who are in touch with each other on daily basis like your workgroup or hangout group?
Friends ask me what is it about ? and what to do with it? is this going to end the era of email??
I say to them “wait… hold on”
Its just a preview and they will be adding more features (hopefully) and its way too early to say Email R.I.P. I haven’t come across any good article which has predicted it to be a failure or success. As I had said before I think email will be still around even if Wave picks up momentum & become an E-tsunami of communication .
Meanwhile reports have been coming that Google is testing a new Wave style search interface which sounds very ungoogle to me.
I got a tweet sometime back.. "Google Wave was built to show younger people how older people feel when they attempt to use the internet." funny yet true :)
Lets keep watching the GWaves for some more time before we start to surf on them…real time :P

3 comments:

  1. Cool... plz send me an invite too..

    Complex - easy - complex - easy is the cycle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can u send me a wave invitation???:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sent to your gmail id..unfortunately i can only nominate your name and cant send it directly..lets hope you get soon..anyways there's time till evryone figures out wat to do with it

    ReplyDelete